- After the announcement of scientists, the World Health Organization gave instructions to speed up the manufacture of this medicine
- Clinical trial of the drug was done on 6425 people, first group patients were given light dose.
Jun 26, 2020, 07:00 PM IST
Ronnie Karin Rabin. Last week, British scientists declared success in the war against Kovid 19. He claimed to have found the first drug to reduce deaths among Kovid 19 patients. The results of this discovery were released through the news. Now this entire study has been posted online before being published anywhere and without review. According to the data, dexamethasone helps serious patients infected with corona, but is also fatal for moderately ill patients.
WHO also asked to increase production
- Dr. Samuel Brown, assistant professor of pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of Utah School of Medicine at Salt Lake City, said the drug may harm some patients and we are not yet fully sure who the patients are. .
- Officials at some US hospitals said they would begin treating coronavirus patients with dexamethasone. The World Health Organization also talked about accelerating the manufacture of medicine. UK health authorities have decided to limit the export of this drug. The clinical trial of this drug was carried out on 6425 people in the UK. Patients in the first group were given very mild doses of the drug for 10 days.
Death toll decreased in patients who got oxygen
Dexamethasone was beneficial for those who had been ill for more than a week. This drug reduced the death toll by one-third in patients who were on mechanical ventilators. While some patients who were receiving supplemental oxygen by other methods also had some deaths.
Patients receiving medication who were not receiving respiratory support had higher mortality rates than other patients. According to the study's senior author, Doctor Martin J. Landre, professor of medicine and epidemiology at Oxford University, the effects of medicine at different levels of disease may be disproportionate, given the biology of the disease.
In critically ill patients the immune system goes into overdrive mode. This then increases the alleged cytokine storm, which damages the lungs as well as the body.
Doctor worried about its use
According to Doctor Landre, doctors are concerned about the use of steroids such as dexamethasone against Kovid 19. Because steroids are endemic inflammatory drugs that weaken the body's protective immune system. Also, in moderately ill patients, they do more harm than good.
Immune system works in two stages
Landre says that the immune system is your friend in the early stages of the disease. It fights viruses and weakening it is not right. In the later stage, the immune system is no longer your friend, as it is responsible for your langs failure. In this case, weakening it with the help of steroids can improve the condition and increase the chances of survival.
Experts also against dexamethasone
- According to experts, the study suggests that dexamethasone should not be used to treat or prevent minor illness. Doctor Brown says that taking dexamethasone as an external treatment for Covid 19 would be harmful.
- Some scientists also want to see the trial results in another study. Remember that the questions in the paper have not been fully answered. Including long-term results and information on neurological damage.
- Jeremy Faust, an emergency room physician at Bramingham & Womens Hospital, says that if certain classes of patients are cured in this way, it is satisfying and welcome. This is a win.