- On May 19, two Hizbul Mujahideen militants were killed by security forces in an encounter.
- On 16 May, security forces killed Hizbul Mujahideen militant in a 5-hour encounter.
May 20, 2020, 06:11 PM IST
Srinagar. The terrorists attacked the BSF patrol in the Pandak area of Srinagar on Wednesday. According to BSF officials, one soldier was killed in the attack while one was seriously injured. Earlier, security forces and police checkposts were attacked by terrorists near Yaripora in Jammu and Kashmir's Kulgam district on Saturday evening.
The head constable of Jammu Kashmir Police, Mohammad Amin, was martyred in this attack. He was hospitalized in critical condition, where he succumbed. He was a resident of Pulwama.
3 big encounters in Kashmir in last 13 days
- 19 May, Srinagar: Security forces killed 2 Hizbul Mujahideen militants in the downtown area. One of them was Junaid Sahrai, son of the separatist organization Tehreek-e-Hurriyat chief Mohammad Ashraf Sahrai.
- May 16, Doda: Security forces killed Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tahir in a 5-hour encounter in Khotra village of Doda.
- May 6, Pulwama: Security forces killed Hizbul Mujahideen's top commander Riyaz Naikoo. He was included in the Most Wanted list for two years. He came to Begpora village in Pulwama to meet his ailing mother. Police received input from the presence of Naiku and some of his associates in this village.
Other encounters in Kashmir so far this year
April 22: Four terrorists killed in Shopian.
17 April : Encounter took place at two different places in the state, in which four terrorists were killed.
April 11: In Kulgam district, there was an encounter between the security forces and the terrorists, in which the terrorists fled leaving weapons.
7 April: The army had killed 5 terrorists in a face-to-face battle. This was the most difficult operation of the year in Kashmir. In this, 5 soldiers of the para unit who had carried out surgical strikes were martyred.
April 4: In Kulgam, security forces killed 4 Hizbul militants in an encounter.
March 15: Four militants were killed by security forces at Vatrigram in Avantipora district.
February 22: An encounter took place between the jawans and the Lashkar-e-Taiba militants at Bijbehara, Sangam in south Kashmir. Two terrorists were killed.
19 February: Security forces killed 3 terrorists in Pulwama district during the encounter.
February 5: Two militants were killed in an encounter near Srinagar, a CRPF jawan was killed. The 3 terrorists on the bike fired on the CRPF checkpost.
January 31: On the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway, 4-5 militants hiding in a truck attacked the security forces. The truck was stopped for checking at the toll plaza of Nagrota. The security forces then laid siege and launched a search operation in the area. Three terrorists were killed during the encounter, while a police jawan was injured. The driver of the truck is a cousin of terrorist Adil Dar who carried out the Pulwama attack and was the main handler of the terrorists.
January 25: An encounter between security forces and militants took place in Avantipora area of Pulwama district. Two Pakistani terrorists Qari Yasir and Burhan Sheikh were killed in it. Yasir was the Kashmir Area Commander of Jaish-e-Mohammed.
January 21: Two militants were killed in an encounter at Avantipora in Pulwama district. An army soldier and SPO of Jammu and Kashmir Police were martyred.
January 20: Three Hizbul Mujahideen militants were killed during an encounter in Shopian district.